Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How we celebrate Dr. Seuss


There's never been a time when I can't remember celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday. My mom, among many other wonderous things, always made a special point to remember his brithday growing up. I used to tell everyone at school about eating green eggs and ham and they thought I was crazy but still pretty impressed. At that time it really seemed out of the norm and like we were the only ones who even knew, now it seems it's all over the place.

Last night I took the kids to a party at the mall celebrating America Reads and honoring Dr. Seuss's birthday, my daughter's in a Seuss parade at school today and my son's preschool is having a Seuss party. Those are just the events we've done, there were numerous events that we simply couldn't fit into our schedule.

Tonight, however, I have saved for my family's Dr. Seuss dinner and thought I'd share what I planned.

We've gotten to the point that my kids recite or read the book when I read to them so we're having to do things a little different this year than eat a Seuss meal and read the story the meal is themed around at dinner. Here's what I've written (with help from the Dr.)for my kids to start the dinner off, hope you enjoy!

I wish I could do what they do in Katroo,
they sure know how to say "Happy Birthday to You!"
But we'll do our best in the household of Manning
to say thanks Dr. Seuss, for your caring and sharing.
I've cooked up your dinner with my cooker-mobile
to bring to your plates a Seuss filled meal.

We'll dine on the fruit of the Truffula Trees,
Cat and the Hat meatloaf that's sure to please.
With a side of custard with sauce made of mustard
just like the fine fluffy bird called the Bustard.
But, can you imagine eating as the beast called the Flustard
who only eats mustard with a sauce made of custard!

We'll have Who-hash but no roast beast,
since the Grinch ate the last at the Who Christmas Feast.
I've traveled far away to the Mountains of Tobsk
to bring back yummy, crisp corn-on-the-cobsk.
I've poured in your cups the juice of moose's
because moose juice, not goose juice is the preferred juice of Seuss'.

To end your meal 1 red fish, 1 blue,
a big fish, a small one and a puffer fish too.
Thanks, Dr. Seuss, today's YOUR day,
your mountain's inspired us we're on our way.
Just follow his lead and you will succeed,
98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed!

So be your name Maddie, Andy, Grant or Harrison,
ALWAYS be the best of YOUR best and you'll always win!


I'd love to hear how your family celebrates, whether Dr. Seuss's or some other special day! I'll let you know tomorrow how everything goes and hopefully have pictures to post if my camera works!

No comments:

Post a Comment